Outstanding teaching is an integral part of Mason’s mission and is deserving of significant recognition. The Teaching Excellence Awards are both institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgement of the significant work that faculty members devote to course planning and preparation; curriculum development; and innovative teaching, advising, and mentoring. We urge program and department leads and other administrators to take this opportunity to recognize teaching excellence at Mason by nominating an adjunct that you view as an outstanding educator.
The Adjunct Faculty Teaching Excellence Award recognizes the outstanding teaching of adjunct faculty while offering a slightly different selection process from our original Teaching Excellence Awards. The evaluation criteria have been refined to focus on the teaching work of adjuncts, and the portfolio process is streamlined accordingly.
This award is open to all adjunct faculty members who are currently teaching a course or who taught at least one course during the past (2014-2015) academic year who also have at least 6 semesters of teaching experience at Mason. Semesters of teaching do not need to be consecutive to meet eligibility requirements.
Nominations should be in the form of a 2-3 paragraph support letter from administrators (department chair, program director, teaching unit coordinator, dean, etc.), colleagues, or former students. The support letter should briefly address how the faculty member meets some of the following criteria for teaching excellence:
- Growth and development as an educator
- Student and learner engagement
- Assessment of student learning and achievement
- Teaching effectiveness and impact
If you have questions or would like further information, please contact us.
Nomination Deadline: Wednesday, December 2, 2015.
Method: Nominations can be brief. Please write 2-3 paragraphs explaining how the nominee meets some of the criteria for teaching excellence (above).
Send Nominations to: The Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence at email@example.com.
The Selection Process:
- Nominations will be accepted through Wednesday, December 2, 2015.
- Nominees will provide a condensed teaching portfolio by Monday, February 8, 2016.
- The Adjunct Faculty Teaching Excellence Award winner will be selected by the end of March 2016.
- A ceremony will honor the 2016 Teaching Excellence Award winners in April 2016. The winner will receive a $1500 stipend (subject to taxes).
A NOTE TO NOMINEES: We will be using your official Mason email address to communicate throughout the selection process. Please be sure to check it regularly.