Write. Focus. Build Community.
Need to get started or make headway on a writing project? Would you enjoy the opportunity to meet with other Mason faculty to discuss your writing and your current projects? Would you find it helpful to work in a small group of other dedicated writers, to discuss the goals you set for yourself as a writer, and the ways you are organizing your projects(s)?
This retreat offers participants uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, a supportive and collegial community of peers, and sessions on the habits of mind and resources that support writing productivity. Participants will be able to connect with other faculty writers (from across departments and programs), work in small groups around individual needs, and reflect on the routines that support success.
NOTE: Writing retreats occur during early January (applications due in December) and late May (applications due May 5, 2017).
Spring Retreat: Wednesday, May 24th through Friday, May 26, 2017
Each participant is asked to:
- Participate in all three days (9:00am-5:00pm) of the retreat;
- Choose a specific project to focus on during those three days;
- Commit to producing the best possible work during the retreat;
- Listen to, encourage, and productively challenge other faculty writers in attendance.
Lunches and space to write (privately and with groups) will be provided.
Participation in this event is limited to 20. Should slots begin to fill, preference will be given to faculty in their first three years at Mason.
To apply, please complete our application that will ask you for the following information:
- Your name, position, and department
- A description of your project and project status (i.e., early planning, drafting, ready for feedback, etc.)
- A description of how the Writing Retreat would help you move forward with your project.
- A statement that verifies that, should your application be accepted, you would be able to commit to participating Wednesday, May 24th through Friday, May 26, 2017, all three days.
- Your meal preference (e.g., non-vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free).
Deadline: Friday May 5, 2017.
The Selection Process:
Applications will be reviewed by the retreat facilitators, the Assistant Director of Writing Across the Curriculum, and the Director of the Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence. Participants will be notified of selection by May 10, 2017.
Questions? Please email the retreat facilitators.